Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wanted: ORDINARY SUPERHEROES

I know I've talked about it before, but as we approach this Christmas season, I want to urge you to consider sponsoring a child in need. I have sponsored a girl from Ecuador through Compassion for about 5 years now and God has always provided the ~$1 a day it takes to make a difference in her life, the life of her family and of her community. Go through whatever organization you choose, but JUST DO IT!

I was readying the Compassion Today magazine I received in the mail and a man named Tim Challies talked about his experience going to visit the Dominican Republic with Compassion (and he was not sponsoring a child at this time). He wrote: "My superhero. It was not the only time in this journey that we heard these words. For all the talk of the extraordinary men and women who have made such a difference in the lives of children, when I went to the homes of the girls and they proudly showed off the letters and photos they had received, the sponsors, whether from America or New Zealand or anywhere else, looked awfully ordinary to me. And I guess this is what these children are looking for. They aren't looking for the rich and the famous, the notorious or the renowned. They are looking for ordinary people to play an extraordinary role in their lives, so badly in need of help. They're looking for a few ordinary superheroes."

Today's your chance to be an ordinary superhero! I promise that you will not be disappointed!

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading that article too and thinking...yup, this sponsor thing is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce