Saturday, December 26, 2009

Our Family Christmas

My youngest brother Lee finally made it home today, braving the snow, wind and icy roads from Saskatoon and so we had our family Christmas this evening. Supper was chicken, mashed potatoes and stuffing.

My mom read a Christmas story after the meal and then I started with my gifts from South Africa. We also enjoyed some biltong (which made it through many x-ray machines and customs officials!) - a bit of an acquired taste, at least with the wild game. The desserts and chocolates are always in huge supply.

Every Christmas is a little different for our family because of my mom's work schedule as a nurse. When we were kids, we got to open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, after the church Christmas concert. On Christmas Day, we went through our stockings first before opening up gifts. My favorite Christmas memory was when I was about 6 and I had told my cousin that I KNEW I was getting a Cabbage Patch doll because of the shape of one of my presents. When Christmas FINALLY arrived, I was indeed correct and my Cabbage Patch was by far my favorite doll for many years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce