Thursday, May 13, 2010

High School

My friend Kim was playing piano for a high school choir last week and she invited me to come and hear them perform. The band also played and the concert took me back in time (well over a decade ago!). I thoroughly enjoyed listening to both the band and choir, and I missed being able to sing and play the flute myself. You know, back in high school, before reality and responsibility hit us; before there were bills to pay and life was easy. But I didn't just miss making music - I also realized how much I missed being a part of a high school. Other than my travels last year, I've basically been in a high school (as either a student or a teacher) since 1992 - no wonder I feel a little lost right now. A high school is this living organism - it has its own beat and yet it's what holds a community together. I think my favorite part about a high school, or rather, the students in it, is that it is a place filled with potential. It oozes with potential and some students soar while others fall flat on their face. But whether they utilize it or not, each teenager possesses this bundle of potential and it's so exciting to work alongside them and to see them grow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey LaDawn! I need to buy some more of your great cards! I've been trying to find your card, but can't...how can i get a hold of you??

    Please email me at fanice95@hotmail.com

    Andrea (Loewen) Bergman

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce