Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why am I Here?

This morning we were challenged by Melanie, a girl who finished up the first Track this past March. I was so touched by her words and the work that she is currently doing with human trafficking in Johannesburg. Human trafficking is a huge problem in South Africa (as was also the case in Costa Rica) and it is only expected to get worse with the 2010 World Cup of Soccer coming to the country. She challenged us in a number of different areas, but the most important for me was to figure out why we are here and to hold on to that when things get really tough, which is a guarantee.

Why am I here? I have a burden for women’s and children’s rights (specifically coming from my time in Turkey). When I found out about Voice for the Voiceless, it felt like a good match and I applied for the Track, not knowing about YWAM or what DTS all involved. I don’t want to limit what that burden brings about. I want this time, no matter where I end up and what I do, to be intentional about living a missional lifestyle. My heart breaks in a small portion to the amount God’s heart breaks and I cling to my tears (which flow a lot around here, just ask my teammates) as the way to keep it real and raw in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce