Saturday, September 26, 2009

It Starts With Me

The Track officially started yesterday. We are down to 13 girls, plus leaders (which includes one married couple, so we do have 1 guy along!) - ready to conquer the world and fight injustice with our cameras! Until Christmas, our time in South Africa will focus on photography and being able to get out and make connections with the people in our community and surrounding area. It's been a good week of relaxing and also getting a feel of our neighborhood. Many of us attended a nearby church last Sunday and it was so interesting to hear the pastor speak about the politics within the country. And how people apologize for the past and they pray for others to change, but at the end of the day, there's still so much division. His message: "I have to change the way I think today." Simple, and yet entirely profound. If I want peace in the world, I need to have peace inside of me first. If I want love in my community, I need to have love in my life. If I want to see this world changed, then that change really does begin within me. And it must permeate my being. That no matter where I am, no matter who I'm with, that it's my inhaling & exhaling. . .it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce