Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Southern Hemisphere Math & Science

Today was a great day - at least for those of mathematically inclined! My math friend Cale and I celebrated 09-09-09 at 9:09 (and probably 9 seconds!). Yeah o.k., so we're totally math geeks - just let us enjoy it! Being in a new place, especially one in the southern hemisphere, has also brought out the scientist in me. As I walked back to my rondawel (a.k.a. the cement hut/building we're rooming in here) last night, I looked up and realized that for the first time in my life, there was no North Star! I need to do some research on the constellations from my now new southerly viewpoint. Gotta run and check out if the water actually does swirl down the drain opposite to what I'm used to!

3 comments:

  1. seriously fabulous :). happy 09-09-09!!! Please say hi to the Central America peeps down there, and, well, a more formal "oh hello there" to those who never made it to this part of the planet. much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you're blogging, LaDawn, as we haven't heard from Alaina. It's great to know y'all made it safely. BTW I've always been intrigue, too, about the water swirling down the drain. So does it go clockwise or counter-clockwise? Say "Hi" and give love and hugs to my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alaina's Mom - hopefully you check back here! I will definitely pass along some love and hugs to Alaina. I will double check on the drain, and definitely put it on my list to visit your family if my travels get me out your direction! Thanks for checking my blog!

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce