Wednesday, August 12, 2009

RAW

I volunteered to share about Voice for the Voiceless this morning during base intersession. I started by showing the "Sex + Money" video clip (completed by the last track, on the topic of human trafficking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjEFtjVMCHY&feature=related) and it was my plan to dive right into what Voice for the Voiceless is all about. But when I got up to speak, my tears once again reminded me of why I'm here and what it is that I'm here to do. We've only been in Costa Rica for a few days and have only met and talked with a few people along the way, but the whole experience has simply left me RAW. It hurts so much to leave your heart so exposed and yet at the very same moment, it is the most liberating. When words finally came, I told them that I have seen the video many times; that the numbers in it are staggering; that I didn't expect to cry. What can I do? Is this journey that I'm on really going to make a difference? I know I've changed, but do I affect change in others? I asked an unusual thing of the people I addressed this morning: Get angry. Get so angry that you do something because, whether you like it or not, you cannot leave today's meeting in ignorance. Now you know. . .now you have to do something.

1 comment:

  1. Is the Sex + Money vid on youtube? I did a quick search but didn't come up with it.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce