Saturday, August 29, 2009

People are just People

As I've encountered various people along my journey thus far, I've brought in certain expectations. That people with AIDS should look sick; that homeless people should look unkept; that refugees should look weak. I don't even know that I've been aware that I was carrying these misconceptions until I met these people. The guy with AIDS looked healthy; many of the homeless are well-shaven and tidy in appearance; the refugees possess a strength that has motivated them to continue moving to find a better life. People are just people, no matter where they come from. We all want to be accepted & loved for who we are; we want safety & security; we want a good life and a hope for the future. Food in our belly, air in our lungs, a shelter over our heads. We are all much more similar than we are different. We're just people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce