Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blessing in a Bottle of Nail Polish

Before heading out this morning, I chatted with my mom and she talked about going to get a manicure and pedicure today. Wish I could join her!

We once again had the opportunity to visit the African refugees that I've blogged about over the last 2 days. After meeting the 3 African women at the center yesterday (there are 4 women in total out of 70 people), I just wanted to be able to go in and bless them. They want their freedom and have no comforts of home that can ease their pain or boredom.

Every women loves to be pampered, no matter their country of origin. So thinking of my mom's plans, I grabbed my 4 little bottles of nail polish that my mom bought for me before I left in April. The officer at the center must have thought I was crazy, asking for a bucket and towels to wash their feet. The women even thought I was a little crazy. Maybe I even thought I was a little crazy!

I don't think I will ever forget what it felt like to wash feet that have walked 1000's of miles in search of freedom. I know I was blessed because they allowed me to wash their feet. And I don't think I'll ever be able to bless another soul quite the way I did today. Who knew that there was such a blessing in a tiny bottle of pink nail polish!

3 comments:

  1. That is a great story. I am reading a book on Evangelism right now. You just demonstrated a love & compassion that words would not have been able to express.
    Love you lots.
    We will be missing you tonight. We are having the Doerksen's over because Richard & Becky are in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary,
    thanks for your posts! It was an amazing experience of God's love this morning. Sorry to miss tonight's events - especially the food and fellowship! I will be thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that. I'm going to share your nail polish story at staff meeting.
    Many blessings on your girlfriend. You are making a difference!
    Carmen, Dustin, & Amadora

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce