Monday, October 18, 2010

God Weeps

The most moving part of the Honouring Heroes - Stop Human Trafficking National Awards Ceremony on Saturday night was the final recipient, Tamara Cherry.  A news reporter for the Toronto Sun, you could tell right away that she has a straight forward, no non-sense kind of approach (which I appreciate!).  She talked about the victims and she did not shy away from the gory details.  The ceremony was held in a church and at one point she wanted to give more detail but said, "because we're in a church, I won't repeat exactly what she told me."

Lorna Dueck, the MC (host of Listen Up TV), later commented that the church is exactly the place where this needs to be said - and I fully agree!  The church needs to stand up and lead.  We need to be a voice for the victims and show them love, not judgment.  It's as if the church today is sleeping and we don't take the words of Jesus seriously and we will be held to account for this.  If we don't look at the issue, then we believe that we don't have to deal with it - WRONG!  I am the first to admit that it is scary working with injustice - you question things, including God, that you never did before.  Your heart continues to break and you feel emotions that you never knew you had in you.  But the fear and the questions and the heartache, as much as they are uncomfortable, bring me closer to God.  You'd think it would be opposite, but it's not.

After Ben Perrin shared on Thursday night, after all the disgusting stories that I heard and as things were starting to wrap up, tears started to fill my eyes.  I had no idea what was happening - why didn't I cry when I heard the horrible stories, why was I crying now?  You know why I was crying?  It was because God was crying, weeping for all the victims of human trafficking.  Fighting injustice brings me closer to God because He allows me to feel some of what He feels and see people how He sees people.  God weeps - for the sleeping church, for the scared victims, even for the perpetrators - He weeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce