Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Go

I've been chewing on so many different ideas in the last few weeks.  They are distinct ideas and yet somehow lead into each other.  I ended yesterday's blog with a verse from Acts 17:28a - "'For in him we live and move and have our being'" which connects with what I want to say today.

As I've had the opportunity to address school and church groups over the year, speaking about my YWAM experience and injustice, I try to share stories of the people I met on the road.  I don't want to talk about 'war and refugees', I want to introduce you instead to my friend Ngoie who is a refugee and has experienced war.  'War & refugees' takes on a whole new dimension when we have a face and a name - it becomes real and much harder for us to ignore.

I also challenge people to go out and make a difference whether that's going to a neighbour's house down the street or half way around the world, as we've been commissioned by Jesus in Matthew 28:19:  "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.  And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Last week I was reading from Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest (Updated) and he said:  "To 'go' simply means to live."  Well that really got me thinking - back to Acts 17, back to all the stories I've heard about human trafficking over the last week or so.  Like I blogged previously, it's uncomfortable to work with injustice, but it brings me closer to God.  Me, going out and fighting against injustice, whether it's a church activity or not, is me living, and me living is me going as Jesus commissioned me to (ok - English is NOT my best subject!). . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce