Saturday, October 2, 2010

Floodgates

For months, my life was quiet. . .at a sort of standstill.  I have waiting on God - what's next?  It's hard to take a step of faith when you can't really see past tomorrow, but that's faith, I guess!  So as October begins, I have looked back a bit.  Last month, I made the decision to take as many sub days at schools, and shifts at the shelter in order that I would be able to get a car.  That was big decision and I knew that things would change radically at that point, which they have.  I say that September is a bit of a blur, but really, I only got the car on September 14th so it's been 2 weeks of intense activity in my life (certainly compared to the first 1/2 of the year!).

 The floodgates have definitely opened and I am trying to keep my head above water.  But really, I want to do more than that.  I want to be Christ's ambassador no matter what I'm doing.  Working with kids, dealing with crisis calls and abused women, selling fair trade products - I believe that they are all important to God.  Those are the things I get paid to do, but I am also at a point where there are a million volunteer opportunities and, again, I want to exemplify Jesus in all of it.  Next week, I'll be starting my photo/injustice class again at the high school.  I made presentations to the students yesterday and now I just have to wait and see if anyone will show up Tuesday night.  I am also putting my photography skills to use, again starting next week Tuesday, working with some of the kids from immigrant families in our community.  And today, I was finally able to meet the founder of Little Travellers, Ilan Swartz, who I consider a modern-day hero - someone who is truly making a difference in our world!  I feel so privileged to be a part of the work that they are doing in bringing hope to South Africans, living with HIV/AIDS.

Truly, the floodgates have opened, and I believe that God has been priming them for a number of months now, preparing me for this time.  I may be eating on the run more and sleeping a little less, but there's work to be done right here.  I said exactly that as I left South Africa last December and I know I am here for a specific purpose - that through living my life, I am encountering God in my work, in my volunteering, and in my play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce