Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Stage is Set

What a strange year it's been!  February to April was utterly slow and I waited for things to pick up.  Then May and June hit like a tornado (a little faster than hoped or anticipated) and I am trying to do my best just to stay afloat.  I am hoping that my million jobs (ok, maybe not THAT many, but pretty close) will sort themselves out in the next few weeks and I'll be able to focus on just a few.

Today also marked the end of the adult Sunday school class that I was teaching:  Justice for the Poor.  There have been some great discussions and it's been so good to hear other people's perspectives.  Part of today's time was spent talking about the case of appeal regarding decriminalizing prostitution that is before Ontario's courts this week.  All I know from my travels abroad, for example Costa Rica, is that when prostitution is legalized at a specific age (say 18), men will then go after girls that are younger because part of soliciting a prostitute is about the thrill of the hunt and the risk involved.  Should Ontario decriminalize prostitution, my guess is that other larger provinces like B.C. may follow suit and then it will just trickle down from there which means that what happens in Ontario this week will affect us all.  Check out the Winnipeg Free Press article for more details on the case:

www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/stage-set-for-landmark-prostitution-case-nearly-20-groups-vying-to-be-heard.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce