Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What is God's Greatest Gift to You?

The speaker this past Sunday for the community worship service at the festival quoted part of a 1989 TIME interview with Mother Teresa.  She was asked the question, "What is God's greatest gift to you?"  Certainly our Western mentality might answer some of our abundant material blessings or perhaps our family and friends.  Of course, that was not Mother Teresa's answer.  Rather, she stated, "The poor people."  Then she was asked, "How are they a gift?"  To which she replied, "I have an opportunity to be with Jesus 24 hours a day."  The poor were not a burden to her or some project to win brownie points with God - they WERE Jesus.  To serve them was to serve Jesus himself.

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. . .Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."
~Jesus (Matthew 25:35, 36, 40b)

1 comment:

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce