Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Road of Lost Innocence

I just finished reading "The Road of Lost Innocence" by Somaly Mam, Cambodian heroine.  I was only in about 3 chapters when my friend asked about the book and the only response I could come up with was, "Why was I born in Canada?"  That's really the difference between her life and mine - she was born into poverty in Cambodia and I was born into riches in Canada (not by our standards per say, but certainly by the world's).  I always end my speaking engagements by saying that I don't want people to feel guilty about our resources, but rather to do something with them.  We've - I've - been blessed beyond compare and can no longer stand by and wait for someone else to do something. . .change starts within each of us.

"I don't feel like I can change the world.  I don't even try.  I only want to change this small life that I see standing in front of me, which is suffering.  I want to change this small real thing that is the destiny of one little girl.  And then another, and another, because if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to live with myself or sleep at night." (p. 128 - 129)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce