Monday, July 26, 2010

What is the Church?

Over the last few days I've had a number of interesting conversation about the church.  What exactly is the church?  Or maybe the better question is, WHO is the church?  When Jesus commissioned his followers to go and make disciples, he never mentioned Sunday mornings or stained glass windows.  We so easily get caught up in programs and forget that Jesus was in the business of people and their hearts.  I am learning that church is not a building, but rather broken people, hungry and searching after God.  The deeper we go, the rawer we get, the more vulnerable and naked we become, I believe the closer we get to what the church should be.  I grew up thinking that church was full of perfect people. . .except for me.  But the church is really only alive when we are honest in our pain and are willing to walk with one another just as Jesus did while he was here on earth.

1 comment:

  1. I agree.. "...the church is really only alive when we are honest in our pain and willing to walk with one another...". Unfortunately compassion is not the number one response to the question of what the church is known for.

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce