Thursday, October 29, 2009

What is a Mennonite?

Within our Bible study group over the past few weeks, we've all had the opportunity to share about our lives. I had my turn yesterday and for some reason I started by talking about being a Mennonite and it always surprises me how many questions come up. I just grew up immersed in it and when people show interest in it, I just can't get over it. There's the obvious pacifistic beliefs and adult baptism. The commitment to peace and the work ethic are shown within their communities but also through organizations such as the Mennonite Central Committee (mcc.org) and Mennonite Disaster Service (www.mds.mennonite.net) that seek to serve those in need and provide relief. Of course you cannot forget the low German language and the wonderful food (that I'm planning to enjoy all Christmas!) including such specialties as cottage cheese perogies and New Year's cookies. In my travels over the last few months I have been reminded over and over again how blessed the Mennonites are and specifically how blessed I am to be a Mennonite. But many are walking away from the faith that sustained their families as they moved from country to country, seeking a home where they could speak their language and practice their beliefs. And I just wonder how long God's hand of blessing will remain on the Mennonites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce