Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Summer Memories

As a kid, I didn't go to camp for a week, rather I went to my Grandma's house (she lived an hour away from us and so it was a chance to really get to know one another).  I remember weird details, like how I thought it was so strange that the bath towels were stored in a kitchen drawer (it was a deep drawer and the bathroom had no storage to talk of).  I remember thinking that I didn't think it was possible to live without air-conditioning, but I always survived the week at her place without it.  I remember eating Count Chocula cereal for breakfast (that was never a choice at home) and my Grandmother saying "Good Morning" every morning.  I shared my Grandma's bed with her for the entire week and I don't know quite how we fit on her small bed.  I remember that her alarm clock was really a clock with little bells on the top - not an electronic one that you can read in the dark.  One morning of the week at her house, she took me and my brothers to McDonald's for breakfast - another special treat.  But probably my best memory was the fact that I had the privilege (at least that's how I saw it) of cleaning her collection of salt and pepper shakers (she had a lot, trust me) and then rearranging how things were organized. . .until next summer.

I went to visit my Grandmother a few weeks ago and I called her the night before to make sure that it was ok with her.  When I arrived at the care home, she felt so bad because she had totally forgotten that I was coming.  It's hard to let go of the people you love.  I'd give anything to go back in time and spend a week making more summer memories at her place.  Instead, I hold tight to the memories I have and enjoy the walks down memory lane with her, however brief they may be.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful, moving post LaDawn...I guess that's what separates us from the other inhabitants of this earth( although I guess animals have some memory capacity)...the ability to remember fondly the good things and high points of our lives.It's good to dwell on these memories sometimes...particularly when we feel down or alone..there is great comfort in memories. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce