Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Prophet

I've had a number of great books recommended to me as of late - I blogged about Night by Elie Wiesel the other day and today I want to feature The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.  It was hard for me to find a quote that I wanted to share, not because it was lacking, but rather, the book is so rich and it's hard to stop quoting when you start.  From his poetic essay on Death (p. 81):

"For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?

And what is it to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?


Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance."

1 comment:

  1. Gibran's masterpiece...I often go back to it,particularly during difficult personal times(as I did when I heard of Jack Layton's death) I focused on the very words pertaining to death that you noted in this post.I encourage any of your followers who have not read this masterwork to experience it. There is much wisdom in these pages.

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce