Sunday, August 21, 2011

Schools as Battlegrounds

I don't know about you, but it feels as though this summer has flown by faster than usual!  Some of you are excited about the prospect of heading back to school; others, not so much!  I'm not heading back to school this fall, but walking down the aisles of pencils and binders at the store just makes me excited.  There's something about the start of a new school year - a clean slate, new beginnings, a chance to try again.

Education is the key to the injustices that plague our world.  That sounds so simple, but yet it's such a challenge in so many countries.  Though this time of year can be equally exciting and stressful, I encourage you to remember what a privilege it is to go to school.  That should say what a 'right' it is, but it's not a right around the world and until it is, we should consider it is a privilege for ourselves and we should work to make it a right for EVERY CHILD on the planet.


1 comment:

  1. Great post LaDawn...as an educator I can say that I am VERY excited to go "back to school." I look at my job as a privilege and I love making a difference in young people's lives. Your post is a good reminder that many children in the world do not have access because of war,politics,religious taboos,etc. Thanks for this important reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce