Sunday, August 14, 2011

Just Courage

My Jolica mentor, Drina, mentioned that International Justice Mission (IJM) spoke at her church a number of months ago and she had picked up some of their books.  She was nice enough to let me read them and I whipped through Just Courage:  God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian (the title said enough to convince me to read it and I was not disappointed in the least) by Gary Haugen.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

p. 17:  "In different times and in different ways, our heavenly Father offers us a simple proposition:  Follow me beyond what you can control, beyond where your own strength and competencies can take you, and beyond what is affirmed or risked by the crowd - and you will experience me and my power and my wisdom and my love."

p. 60:  "Few things are harder to do than to confront the violent forces of injustice the way Jesus taught - with love and faith, perseverance and strength, hope and humility."

p. 65:  "Justice is not optional for Christians.  It is central to God's heart and thus critical to our relationship with God."

I hope that has stirred your interest enough to find a copy of the book and enjoy an AMAZING read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce