Sunday, January 24, 2010

Uncertain

The lesson from my time in Austria 6.5 years ago (yikes!) continues to keep coming back to me: you can plan as much as you want, but at the end of the day, God is really the one in control and so plans can and do change (whether you like it or not). Even when there's a stable job and life is steady, it's still uncertain. Not having a stable future right now seems to make life feel even more uncertain for me. I'm so thankful to my parents for letting me back under their roof and feeding me, and to my brother for letting me use his vehicle when he's on the road in his semi.

When I returned from Turkey in 2006, I came back with a burden for women's and children's rights and told people that I didn't know how that would look in my life, but I knew that I had to do something. And I can't believe what I've done since that time! - I worked at a women's shelter for about 1 year, and had my great adventure around the world for most of last year.

I didn't return home at Christmas with any specific feeling/mission/vision of what was next. I was excited to think about returning to the classroom, because I really do love teaching. But I haven't received any replies to the resumes I sent out and so it looks like I'll probably be substitute teaching, which is fine, as long as I do get days. It provides me with some flexibility to arrange opportunities to speak with churches, youth groups, schools, etc and get out the message of injustice that's on my heart.

But even in sharing at my uncle's church last weekend, it just feels like there's something more for me on the horizon. Maybe I won't return to the classroom in the same way I have in the past (which actually makes me a little sad). Just like my traveling to Austria and Turkey brought me to the point of last year's travels, maybe those experiences plus my teaching were just preparation for what's next. . .maybe. . .it's all so uncertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce