Friday, January 15, 2010

10 Simple Things

Here's my list of 10 simple things (in no particular order) to make a difference - in your own life, the lives of others & in our world:

1. Buy fair trade gifts, chocolate, coffee, from stores like Ten Thousand Villages.
2. Sponsor a child from an organization like Compassion.
3. Educate yourself about injustice issues and then educate others.
4. Know where your clothing & food come from and how they're manufactured.
5. It's cliche but reduce, reuse & recycle.
6. Collect food to stock the shelves of your local food bank and/or volunteer to work at a soup kitchen. This can also apply to buying needed supplies for your local women's & children's shelter.
7. Write letters to government officials about your concerns.
8. Volunteer for a short- or long-term missions or humanitarian effort.
9. Invest in people & build relationships. Start by mowing the neighbor's lawn or bringing cookies to the new person at work.
10. Look inside yourself & get rid of the injustice in your own life and then speak up to get rid of the injustice in the world around us.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ladawn

    Great post...although I have to admit change is hard (heaven on earth we need it now...to paraphrase the prayer that Yeshua Ha'Mashiach) taught us to pray. Question for you...are you around on Jan. 29 (Multicultural night at Pioneer Centre) and willing to take some pix. If you are let me know and I will fill you in on the details...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure who you are, but I'm interested in the multicultural night - I hope that you will check back here and then email or call me with the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yup. Solid call. You can even do wedding registries at Ten Thousand Villages.
    2. Yup. Solid call.
    6. I try to buy a 12 pack of mac and cheese or something when I go grocery shopping.
    9. God opened the door to give a co-worker a Bible, and am making picture frames for some folks from work.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce