Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Practicing the Presence of God

Given the abundance of time driving, combined with the lack of internet in general over the last few days, I've had a chance to do some reading. My brother gave me the book "The Practice of the Presence of God, with Spiritual Maxims" by Brother Lawrence (who died in 1691). Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"That our sanctification did not depend upon changing our works, but in doing that for God's sake which we commonly do for our own." p. 26

"The King, full of mercy and goodness, very far from chastising me, embraces me with love, makes me eat at His table, serves me with His own hands, gives me the key of His treasures; He converses and delights Himself with me incessantly, in a thousand and a thousand ways, and treats me in all respects as His favorite." pp. 36 - 37

"Believe me, count as lost each day you have not used in loving God." p. 112

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce