Friday, April 3, 2009

Home Sweet Home Away From Home

Well, I have arrived in one piece, with all my luggage! Almost lost my guitar in Vancouver, but we're all good. Flights went well and it's good to be back on solid ground again. When I arrived late last night, a wall of humidity was here to greet me (plus 24 degrees Celsius was quite the change from 0 back in Manitoba).

It's been a long first day as we were officially welcomed to the island. A lot of orientation information and many names bouncing around in my head (my program has over 50 people and there are many programs running right now). There are a few married couples, some little kiddies in the group and only 6 single guys, so the ratio is definitely in their favor (and don't worry, they're too young for me!!).

You'll be happy to know that the campus is on high enough ground that we're o.k., should we experience a tsunami. The first day of every month at precisely 11:45 a.m., they test the warning system, so we'll see what that's like. Of course, there are also earthquake concerns - the pitfalls of living on a live volcano!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce