Monday, May 23, 2011

Displaced Reflections - Part 3

I blogged from "Displaced Reflections" by Oddny Gumaer way back in January, but I have been using it over and over again as I have taught the photography youth Sunday school and now am teaching the adult Sunday school class from the book "Justice for the Poor."

As I prepared for the adult Sunday school class the other night, I emailed Partners (the organization associated with "Displaced Reflections", www.partnersworld.ca) to thank them for this wonderful book.  I would love to meet Oddny face-to-face!  I think we would have a great time together.  Her writing is so honest - it resonates deep within me and speaks to my heart.  Here's part of page 91:

U2

"He [Bono] talked about getting closer to the melody that is in one's heart.

"I have been thinking about that.  It is about loving and knowing God, it is about being known by Him and accepted for who I am.  It is about loving people the way He would love them.  It is about fighting for justice and loving mercy.  It is about grace.

"How close am I to the melody in my heart?

"I tend to be self-righteous.  I think that I should be allowed to retire from being good one day soon.  I have spent more than ten years of my life helping refugees for goodness sake!  I should be able to start thinking about myself now.  Can somebody else take over and let me go hiking in Norway?

"I feel that I deserve a break.  But that proves how badly I have missed the point, because it has nothing to do with:  'Have I done enough yet?'  It has to do with getting closer to the melody.  It is about moving closer to God's heart.  it is in pursuing the true purpose of my life that I will find the song that was written for me.  The journey I am on with God will take me to His heart, and that is where I want to be.  On the way there I will meet people who need me, whom it would be a sin to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce