Saturday, May 23, 2009

Children's Beach

I was given the opportunity to head out with one of my leaders (Monte) and take pictures for my photo-essay assignment this morning. You can't say I'm not committed - I got up at 5:30 to get ready and catch a ride to Children's Beach. The morning was organized to give disabled kids the chance to learn to snorkel. The volunteers who gave up their Saturday morning were simply amazing and I was able to capture it on "film" (at least I tried - I'm still practicing!). They had to get special permission to use a mobi pad - kind of a long "red carpet" into the ocean that allows people an easier entrance into the water. The mayor stopped by at the end and talked to the group about community and responsibility for every person a part of it. Once my work was done, I had the opportunity to snorkel as well - it was my very first chance and I had a great time. Just have to remember to breathe through my mouth! Salty ocean water is kind of gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce