Sunday, September 25, 2011

Breaking the Mold (to Smithereens!)

My 30's have been far from perfect, though I'm enjoying them so much more than my 20's.  In your 20's, you think you know everything but in your 30's (at least for me), it's been a realization that I don't know everything - I don't have to know everything - and that's ok.  I think a large part of it for myself has been coming to terms with the life I have lived, and will continue to live.  I have no idea who came up with the word 'normal', but it should be taken out of our vocabulary.  There is no such thing and comparing to what we believe is 'normal' just doesn't get us anywhere.

People will ask what I've been up and I talk about a job here and a job there; some travel here and some travel there.  I've heard the comment that it must be so nice to have so many adventures or the fact that I'm free to do what I choose having nothing to tie me down.  It's doesn't really feel that way - certainly not when you're in the midst of it.  Everything about my life, breaks the mold - there's been no stable job or career, no marriage, no kids, just me and the path that I've been journeying on.

My response to people about my life and its variability has changed as of late.  Don't get me wrong - I still hope to find a partner to journey with and to have a family with, but I'm finding peace, sitting in that pocket, in giving up expectations - my own first, and then those that other people have of me.  So not only do I need to break the mold - it must explode to smithereens!  No trace is left.  We're starting from scratch.  People can think what they want.  I have to live my life.  My journey is uniquely mine - no one else can lay claim to it.  I must embrace it.  Mold, what mold?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce