Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Making Music

Growing up, one of my uncle's who didn't see me a lot would ALWAYS ask me, when he did see me, what kind of music I like and I never knew how to answer that question (plus, it really annoyed me!).  For me, it's not about a specific type of music (though there are a few types that I'd rather NOT listen to!) and my response was that the music I most enjoyed was the music I made myself.  I am not one of those people with a truly natural music talent - I have to work really hard and practice in order to play piano, flute and guitar (oh, and there was a little oboe in grade 12 yet too!).

For about 2 months before Christmas and now for January and February, I have thoroughly enjoyed Tuesday nights playing in a community band.  I started out very nervous, trying to figure out my place and having a lot of questions and doubts run through my mind - could I really do this again, after not having played in a big band for more years than I'd like to admit to!  It feels so great to practice on my own each week and then fit it all together Tuesday nights.  Yep, my very favorite music is the opportunity I have to make it myself!

1 comment:

  1. You GO girl! Yoy totally ROCK! It's like music to my ears. When you come down to SA we must Jam together. I will do vocals or maybe we can do a Duet or harmoniseor You could just accompany me with your many different choices of instruments and many talents. We could Rock the house at ROTOP, St Martins etc. etc.

    Take care, Miss U stax and can't wait to see my sis again
    Clint

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce