Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Icicles

Our assignment:  icicles.  Icicles in February?!?  We have a month to capture icicles for the Photo Club and lucky for us, we have had a beautiful week with high temperatures (that would be around the 0 degree Celsius mark!) and a lot of melting happening.  It also means that it's a little easier on the fingers and the camera - not the -25 (plus wind chill) weather that is normal for this time of the year.

I was honored to be asked to be part of the Photo Club, but more important than being a part of it and exchanging ideas, it will be my motivation to get my camera out and snap away.  I don't want to be empty handed when we meet again next month!  One of my photographer friends said that 2010 may not have been the best year for me picture-wise because I was so pictured-out from 2009, and I quite agree.  My camera and I have not been seeing 'eye-to-eye' for a while now!

But icicles, how was I going to capture them?  Again, the weather was important and not only that, but the time of day to go out and shoot.  With the sun out, if you wait too long in the day, the icicles have all but disappeared.  So yesterday I had some time in the morning and I headed into town.  I had a few buildings in mind that had some possibility.  As I drove around town, my eyes were on the move.  And as I started looking around, I found icicles in the most unexpected places - none of the buildings I had in mind worked out.

After getting a few keepers, I was actually motivated to keep shooting and so I trudged through knee-deep snow (yes, it's melting, but there's been A LOT of it this year) and had the most fun I've had with my camera in a long while.  I'm looking forward to some great Photo Club meetings, but the club has already done what I was hoping for.  And with more spring on its way, here's hoping that my camera will always be close at hand to capture icicles, or whatever else should strike my fancy as I continue to grow and learn in my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce