Saturday, March 20, 2010

Stories of Humanity

I am not a history person, but I fully believe that if we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. I know of historical events such as the Holocaust and South Africa's apartheid and am trying my best to learn more about them, but I don't pretend to begin to understand their complexities.

I see similarities as I've watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" (based on the Holocaust) and "Colour of Freedom" (based on memoirs of Nelson Mandela's prison guard) this week - I see stories of humanity. How easy it is to convince ourselves how different we are: black & white, men & women, Jew & non-Jew. To draw dividing lines and talk about 'us' versus 'them'. And for many historical events, we've even said that this separation is "of God", which couldn't be further from the truth. Jesus came to tear down the fences, to teach us how to love friend & enemy alike, and to show us just how similar we all are - people so in need of a Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce