Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stories of Hope

Continuing on in the same vein as yesterday. . .I've been given so many great opportunities to share over the last few months, with more in the months to come. Every session is a little different, but I usually come back to 2 of my favorite stories, which involve 2 of my favorite people.

The first is my friend Bleu, down in Costa Rica (search "Bleu" on my blog to find out more about her) and her story continues to inspire me to keep going because she is proof that ONE person can truly make a difference in this world. The second is my friend Ngoie from South Africa (you can again search "Ngoie" to find out more). I have the quote from Bono on the side of my blog: "where you live should no longer determine whether you live". When I think about Ngoie and the fact that her mom died of breast cancer because of where they were living at the time, my heart breaks over and over again. IF that had been the only tragedy in Ngoie's life, ok maybe. But she had experienced so much hardship as a refugee and to lose her mom when she was only 11, well, it's simply unfair. And yet she continues on - she tries to make her life and the life of her community better every day.

So I continue to share these stories of my friends because they are stories of hope. I stumbled upon a definition of hope the other day: a confident expectation of something better. I share their stories because I believe that we can be agents of change, confidently expecting something better in our world and of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce