Saturday, November 20, 2010

Born Here

The other evening, I had the opportunity to speak to a group of grades 3 - 6 girls about injustice.  I asked them questions like what the differences and similarities would be between themselves and girls living in poverty in the third world.  After I finished, one of their leaders asked them how they felt about what I had shared.  One very smart grade 6 girl said that her life would be very different, had she not been born here.  Other answers were given that they felt sad or angry, but another girl simply stated that she had to go out and do something about it.  I always wonder just how much I can share with kids and their compassionate hearts never cease to amaze me!

I've spent the past few days reading "Not For Sale" by David Batstone.  I've had the book for a while now and I'm not quite sure why I was letting it collect dust, but, nonetheless, I was.  Parts of it made me angry and parts of it made me sad, but it all boils down to the question:  "What am I going to do about human trafficking?"  And the very next question that comes to my mind is, "Why was I born here and what makes me NOT become a victim of human trafficking like so many others around our globe?"  All of the girls the other night realized that we are blessed beyond measure, but none of them wallowed in it, feeling guilty.  One of my closest friends from my whole YWAM experience, Gen, always said that we have our wealth, not to feel guilty about, but to use to do things for others.  And that was the message these girls conveyed - let's go and change our world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce