Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Beach Yoga

I started practicing yoga last November and I quickly went from one class a week to two.  I know many people imagine that it's time spent just meditating, and that's part of it, but it has been a good physical workout for me where I've noticed changes in my body (especially in regard to strength and toning).  It has also been a great compliment to the counseling I'm doing, as I am working to find better balance in my life and so for that hour class, I am able to focus on myself and not worry about the rest of life.  It's amazing that even when my knees are shaking and my muscles are quivering, that I find great peace there.

I decided to take a bit of a break from yoga over the summer (because of financial reasons more than anything) and so I have enjoyed the sun and pool participating in aqua size.  But as the summer winds down this week, in combination with some anxiety over the new school year starting (it's my first start to the year since 2008!), I made the decision to go to aqua size and yoga classes every day this week.  Waking up at 6:15 in the morning on summer holidays is not really my idea of fun, but today it was well worth it as I tried beach yoga for the first time.

As calming as yoga normally is, this morning was unbelievable.  The class was held at Colert Beach in Morden, with the sun slowly rising above us.  Fish were jumping and splashing in the water, while a chipmunk kept us company from the trees.  It was truly amazing to be out in God's creation, exercising a body and mind that He has entrusted me to care for while on this earth.  A beautiful blue sky, green leaves on the trees and a crystal clear reflection off the water - all made for me to enjoy this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce