Sunday, March 13, 2011

just be

I should know better by now - volunteering to teach a youth Sunday School class, when the lesson is really for me in the end!  Hopefully the students have picked up some photography skills along the way, or learned a bit more about 'perspective' (our theme), or connected with God in a new way (or all of the above!).  The lessons have been a good reminder for me, especially today's.

The topic today was 'God's Perspective' - to view other's the way He views them.  But the next step is also to view myself the way God views me (I don't know about you, but I forget about this too often!).  I talked about getting up every morning and, along with my clothes, I put on the expectations of the day.  "What is everyone expecting of me?  What am I expecting of myself?"  I wish I could say that the only thing I think about each morning as I get ready is that God simply wants me to be.

As I continued to think about this morning's lesson, my mind wandered back to my time in Austria in 2003.  We didn't have much time to ourselves that summer - it was a very busy 6 weeks.  For some reason, I remember checking out some of the town's shops one day by myself.  I walked into a wood shop and marveled at the detail of the carver.  But the only sculpture that has stayed with me specifically is one of a hand - palm up, fingers open - and it was big enough for me to sit in.  (If I had the money and a way to get it back home, it would have been my only souvenir!)  What better reminder than to actually crawl into a hand - the hand that holds the universe in place, who painted butterflies and carved canyons into the earth - and just be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce