Friday, December 31, 2010

Step of Faith

I took a step of faith back in September and decided to sponsor a 2nd child through Compassion Canada.  God has always provided the funds for my 1st sponsor child, even through unstable employment and all my travels, and I felt like I should be stepping out in faith at this time again.  It takes awhile to get paper processed and so Compassion says that it may be up to 6 months before hearing back from your new sponsor child.

When I started sponsoring my 1st child, I had them pick out a girl - beyond that it didn't matter how old she was, where she was from or her family situation.  This time it was a little different and I put a bit more thought into it.  When I received 50 profiles for my church, I went through looking for some specifics:  a boy from a country that needs real men as role models and who doesn't necessarily have a stable home situation.  Suraj caught my attention, being from India and only having his mom to look after him (she is only sometimes employed).  Little did I know what I was really signing up for!

I received my first letter from Suraj today - glad to finally make a connection with him other than his picture and brief amount of information that I have about him from Compassion.  He starts with the basics like his favorite color (blue) and sport (football) and talks about how thankful he is to be sponsored and what he is studying in school.  This is how the letter concludes:  "He says that his father has left the family, therefore his mother is working as harlot to survive the family."  I have been talking human rights and trafficking and all these issues all year long and I end up with a sponsor child who is the face of all of it.  I try to practice what I've preached all year and believe that the small things do add up - like sponsoring a little boy in India, whose mother is a prostitute so that she can provide for her children.  Maybe God has much bigger plans in store for Suraj than I could ever hope to imagine!  And it all started with a little step of faith.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow...a harlot. Gosh, that is a real eye opener, isn't it? I stumbled upon your blog because I have a Google Alert set to pick up on references to Compassion International. My heart aches for the mother of Suraj. I will pray for God to keep her safe and provide a way to step out of that "occupation". Have you considered sending a financial Family Gift? Many times, the families will use them to start some sort of business.

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce