Friday, December 28, 2012

A Fresh Perspective

It's always good to gain a fresh perspective.  Sometimes that comes easier than at other times in life.  Serving lunch at Siloam Mission (a soup kitchen in downtown Winnipeg) was a good chance to put Christmas in perspective.  The line was quick and busy so I didn't have much of an opportunity to look up from the stuffing I was adding to each plate.  I was thankful for the gentleman at the end of the food line who, after adding a piece of dessert to each plate, wished each patron a good lunch.  He did what I could not and I was thankful that each person was acknowledged.  When I did have a second to glance up, most patrons had smiles on their faces and said many "thank you's" for the meal.  It's been cold in Manitoba lately and I complain as soon as I have to head outside, even for a few moments as I run from the house to the car.  After lunch, each of the patrons would be hitting the cold streets again, waiting until supper would be served and they can warm up.  In the midst of a season where it is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of gifts and gatherings, it was good to be reminded of what's really important and see life through another set of eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce