Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Poppy

I really appreciated the following article from The Winnipeg Free Press.  For me, as a Mennonite and a pacifist, there's always been a struggle around Remembrance Day.  Certainly, not something addressed in church from the pulpit (at least not in my lifetime).  That was different this year because the church that I'm currently attending (which, by the way, is still Mennonite) and also Rob, a friend of mine.  Somewhere over the course of this past year we talked about Remembrance Day and the line that he said that stayed with me was this:  "No one who has ever gone to fight in a war, wants war to happen again - that's part of the reason they go."  Pacifist or not, the final goal for all of us is peace.  And that gives me a lot of peace regarding Remembrance Day and it is the reason that I wear a poppy.  For all of those who gave their lives for my freedom, today I stop and remember. . .

www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/faith/yes-im-a-pacifist----and-yes-i-wear-a-poppy-178326201.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce