Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Girls Just Want to Go to School

Sometimes I wonder if we have our priorities totally wrong in the west - actually, I know we do.  When my students complain about homework or having their iPod and cell phone taken away, I wonder what it would take to make them appreciate what they so freely have and that so many others around the world only dream of, longing for the opportunity of an education.  Or, as Nicholas Kristof's article below describes, taking the opportunity, even if it means getting up 3 a.m.

www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/opinion/kristof-girls-just-want-to-go-to-school.html?_r=1

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sis. Love you lots and trust all is well.

    Last night in our street a lady was stuck with a flat tire on her expensive black Jaguar and asked if anyone could help her. She had called her husband and he arrived in his new expensive BMW.The neighbours strangely enough came to ring my bell to ask if I would help them. I brought all my tools with and neither of the sockets fitted. I then told the man that those cars come with a special lock nut key and he would have to call the agent, however he persisted and after about 2 hours of struggling it was confirmed that I was right. He had damaged the thread of the nut, his rims and his R3,000 tire. The lesson for me was that we in the western world have become so dependant on our material goods that we do not know better or cannot even change a simple flat tire.

    Take care
    Clint

    ReplyDelete

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce