Friday, January 28, 2011

The Cost of Gratitude

From my devotional "Our Journey" today (Nancy Leigh Demoss):

"Scottish preacher George Matheson (1842 - 1906) began losing his eyesight in late adolescence for no apparent reason.  By age twenty he was totally blind, as a result of which his fiancee broke off their engagement.  He struggled for many long months with a broken heart, wrestling with unanswered questions.  The whole experience nearly drove him to despair and he was tempted to quit the ministry altogether.  Yet ultimately he came to the place where he could say:

'My God, I have never thanked you for my thorn!  I have thanked you a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my thorn.  Teach me of the glory of the cross I bear; teach me the value of my thorns.  Show me that I have climbed to you by the path of pain.  Show me that my tears have made my rainbow.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce