Sunday, August 10, 2014

Ecuador - Day 7

After a week full of days where I thought that my heart couldn't get any fuller, it did again today!  We were told that we would be meeting our sponsor kids at the water park where we would be spending the day with them but that was actually a little white lie.  When we gathered together in the morning, we were told the truth that all the kids were actually at the hotel already, along with a family member and someone from their project, as well as translators (everyone had their own today, which was wonderful - Juanfer did an amazing job, not only translating but capturing the day on my camera as well).

Photo:  Sharon McDonald
We had to line up in a specific order and as we approached the room, we discovered that this was the order in which we would meet our sponsor child.  I could spot Evelyn in the lineup and it was unbelievable to think that this young woman who has been a part of my life for the last 10 years through letters, was here right in front of me!  Big hugs and tears all around!  Her father, Victor, had come along for the day and when he held out his hand to shake mine, I just gave him a huge hug instead!  (Her mom and 2 younger brothers were back at home.)  I had made matching friendship bracelets for the 2 of us, so we did that before boarding the bus to the water park.

The day was ours to do with what we wanted at the water park,
Thanks again Sharon!
but it was really limited as to the time we had together - we had to make the most of it!  I wanted Evelyn to decide what activities she wanted to do - we started with taking pictures and then played one of my favorite games Qwirkle.  I had brought along all of Evelyn's letters and so she read through some them before lunch.  After lunch, she opened the gifts I brought for her (again, some tears!) and we went through some of the gifts I brought for her family.  I had brought her brothers Team Canada mini hockey sticks and she wanted to play hockey so we did that for a while before playing Connect 4.  Finally, she wanted to play soccer with some of the other kids and then the day was done - it was time to say goodbye.

Both of us asked various questions throughout the day but I certainly had a lot more time to think about this day than she did.  Evelyn only found out about the visit yesterday and so she hadn't even slept that well, as she was too excited.  It's hard to express what it's like to know the impact that my $41 per month has had on Evelyn, her family, community and Compassion project.  But I do know that it's made a difference and have no doubt that she will make a difference in the lives of other people throughout her life.

Thanks for taking these pictures Sharon & Juanfer!


All the children and their families went straight home from the water park and we went back to the hotel for supper and one final activity.  We were treated to a local musical group whose name translates to "Messengers of the King".  There were 5 brothers and they shared what it was like to be a sponsored child through Compassion.  It was such an encouraging way to end the trip as they were proof that people can rise up out of poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce