Sunday, June 8, 2014

Obsolete

I have worked at a women's shelter in the past and it's the type of job where you wish it would become obsolete - that our society and world would not be in need of shelters that protect women and children from violence in their own homes and relationships because abuse is longer tolerated by anyone.  In the same breath, I wish that stories of injustice would become obsolete so that my blog could be a place where justice stories are the only ones making the headlines and would be the only thing I could blog about.

More and more stories of women in Muslim-majority countries are coming out.  And I don't know if that's because there are more stories of tragedy (unlikely) or the fact that more stories are being reported (perhaps) or the fact that these women are not willing to be silent to the circumstances of their lives any more and so they are shouting for us to pay attention (I choose to go with option 3).  I believe that one day in the future, longer than we'd like it to be, we will talk about the way things used to be for these women.  That enough of them stood up against their fathers, brothers and other men in their lives so they could finally have an education, drive a car, cast their vote and decide who to marry, if they choose to marry at all.  One day, I won't blog another story about such abuse because it will be obsolete.  But until then, please read this article and think about how you can get involved and make a difference:

www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/police-pakistani-teen-survives-after-being-shot-thrown-in-canal-by-father-over-love-marriage-262231401.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce