Friday, March 16, 2012

Wounded Healers ~ Ashley Judd

I was so moved by a portion of CNN's video with Ashley Judd that I posted yesterday, that I want to quote part of it (please forgive my punctuation and sentence structure!):

"Well, I get the distinct impression that a lot of us who are warriors for peace, who are advocates for change, who really try to embody progressive values of social justice and equality are wounded healers. That there was something that happened to us, so that we, in a very particular and personal way, experienced injustice, whatever that may have looked like. And I know that the details of my personal story are quite different from the details of an HIV/AIDS orphan’s life in Cambodia, or a woman who is a sex slave in Madagascar, or an educated woman in Congo whose entire family has recurrent episodes of diarrheal disease because they don’t have access to safe drinking water, but we identify with each other’s feelings and that’s the use of narrative, of story-telling, of simple human relatability, because I believe that we are created to be in relationship. And the more I can look inside and clean house and take care of transforming my own toxic narrative, which is (you know) perhaps strong language, but let’s go with it, into a narrative of redemption, of resilience, of creativity, and of service, I think the more help I’m going to be in the world and that the help I give will be of a higher quality and that’s why I think that there is a band of us wounded healers trying to carry the light in this world."

~Ashley Judd (CNN video 6:00 - 7:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSE QUAM VIDERI - to be, rather than to appear
"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God."
~Robert W. Pierce